It’s been a while, so here’s another app review.
The honor is today to the MyLife app (formerly known as Stop, Breathe & Think). This award-winning meditation and mindfulness app has a large community and over 400 activities for all levels and ages.
Apple rewarded it with the ‘App of the Day Award’ in 2020!
Let’s find out more together 😉
MyLife is free for basic meditations, and there’s a possibility to become a premium member with access to 400+ activities, guided journaling, yoga, acupressure, soundscapes and more special features. An auto-renewing subscription costs $9.99 per month and $58.99 per year.
We’ll go through the app together!
When you start for the first time, a cute little cloud asks you “How you’re doing?” This is the ‘Check in’ tab: first check in with yourself by taking a breath and closing your eyes for 10 seconds.
In the next step your physical condition is assessed. You can choose between: ‘Great’, ‘Good’, ‘Meh’, ‘Poor’ or ‘Rough’.
The third step follows the same condition regarding your mental condition.
Finally you are invited to choose out of 5 emoticons (from happy to sad). Each emoticon has a subset of many words to put your emotions into verbal terms. For example if you choose ‘Meh’, you are given a subset that consists of Afraid, Apathetic, Bored, Clingy, Distracted, etc…
If you went through all of these 4 steps, you’ll get a personalized screen with guided activities tailored to your needs.
In the ‘Explore’-tab there are themes like ‘Get Started’, ‘Calm Coronavirus Anxiety’ or ‘Chill Pill’. Every theme has its own free content with different kinds of exercises, besides the premium exercises. You can also engage in self-guided activities with the Meditation or Breathing Timer.
There’s another tab that will help you track ‘Progress’. You can earn stickers for reaching certain goals, like completing x meditations or meditating x days in a row. The total amount of meditation time is kept here. Also, you can see how your emotions can fluctuate before and after meditation.
My Favorite Features Of This App
This app has a couple of things I really like:
– Emotions Check-in and Check-out: It’s nice that you can relate to your emotions before and after meditation. This is a great way to become more aware of your feelings and sensations in your body.
– Different Themes: There are so many ones to choose from. Also, a lot of exercises for children: e.g. ‘For Kids’ has cute videos with Bulldog and audiofiles with Periwinkle. Fun to use with my little niece!!
– Breathing Timer: Visual timer that helps you to track your breath. Love it!
– You have a lot of free options, before you decide to purchase a premium membership.
– Hip and sleek design. Very well-structured and easy to apply.
– Ideal for beginners because of the small duration (mostly no longer than ten minutes) and step-by-step approach.
– Suitable for different ages: childproof app.
– The app is available for the two main operating systems: Apple & Android.
– Premium membership is necessary for extra content besides the basic meditations (like yoga and acupressure).
– I really thought deep about this but couldn’t find any other cons… 😉
if you want to start meditating this is an app that will assist you effortlessly!
I like the tight, orderly structure and love listening to the pleasant voices of both male and female guides on this path to meditation. It’s really in the little things, as you’ll find out with the free content of this app.
I’m curious about your experience with this app. Let me know more about it by leaving a comment below!
With love ❤,